The sweet and sour sauce can be made without ketchup by using a combination of sugar, vinegar, and other ingredients such as soy sauce, pineapple juice, and cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Here is a simple recipe:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, and soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the water to form a slurry. Slowly pour the slurry into the saucepan while stirring constantly.
- Continue to stir the sauce until it thickens, then remove it from the heat.
- Allow the sauce to cool before serving.
Note: You can also add other ingredients such as garlic, ginger, onion, or red pepper flakes to give it more flavor.